The Environmental Services Department consists of the Sanitation, Recycling, and Vehicle
Maintenance divisions. The Sanitation Division is responsible for all regular
municipal trash pick-up service, for both residential and commercial customers.
Sanitation also offers rental of construction dumpsters for contractors or large
do-it-yourself jobs, and special pickups of appliances and other large or unusual items.
The Recycling Division offers both a drop-off site as well as residential curbside collection
of recyclable materials. Drop off
service at the Recycling Center is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The
Recycling Center accepts various types of plastics, glass, paper, cardboard, aluminum and tin cans. Processing of these materials takes place on site, and the material
is then sold on the open market. Approximately 3,000 tons of waste per year is kept out
of landfills and returned to usable consumer forms through the efforts of the Recycling
In addition to these two large divisions, the Environmental Services Department is also
responsible for the operation of the City's central Vehicle Maintenance shop, which
services City vehicles from all City departments.
Municipal waste collected by the department is hauled to the Phelps County Transfer
Station, located at 12441 County Road 2170, Rolla.
For more information on the Transfer Station such as hours of operation, items not accepted, etc. please call 573-364-8771.
News & Notes:
City-wide Yearly Spring Clean Up
- The City of Rolla Environmental Services Department will hold the yearly residential city-wide spring clean up on Saturday, April 1, 2017. All items must be to the curb by 6:00 a.m. Examples of items that will be accepted are furniture, microwaves, televisions, old clothes, and normal household trash. Items that will not be accepted are appliances, water heaters, yard waste, paint, tires, or construction debris such as sheet rock, shingles, concrete or rock. Loose items should be in boxes or bags and small pieces of lumber should be bundled or boxed. Rollout trash containers will not be emptied. To avoid scavengers ripping open bags and making a mess in your yard, you are advised not to set it out until Friday evening. For more information, call the Environmental Services Department at 364-6693.
Yard waste removal - RESUMED
- The seasonal weekly collection of yard waste in brown paper biodegradable bags was resumed March 6, 2017. Yard waste is collected in your neighborhood on the same day as trash.
- As of January 1, 2017, trash containers must be pulled away from the curb and returned to the house within 24 hours after normally scheduled collection day. Rollouts left at the curb will be subject to a stiff fine.
Environmental Services to suspend the following:
- Suspending loading of compost / mulch until April 2017
- Wednesday, November 9: Suspending the collection of Household Hazardous Waste at the Recycling Center until March, 2017.
- Friday, December 16: Suspending the residential curbside collection of yard waste in paper bags until March, 2017.
- Recyclables: In 2015 the City of Rolla recycled over 3,047 tons of materials. That is 283 tons more than last year! If these 283 tons had been landfilled, it would equal 40 fully loaded trash trucks.
- Trash: In 2015 the City hauled 16,051 tons of trash to the Phelps County Transfer Station to be landfilled. This is 637 tons less than last year.
Environmental Services Department's List of Important Dates
Rolla Recycling Center accepting E-waste and household hazardous waste (by appointment)
- All types of batteries can be taken to the office at the Recycling Center to be recycled. Please make an appointment for quantities over 2 pounds.
- Button batteries must be taped to prevent contact.
- Bring these items to the Rolla Recycling Center office during normal business hours (M-F 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.) Please make an appointment for quantities over 2 pounds.
Documents & Forms