- Rolla at a Glance
- Community Events
- Rolla Info
- Contact Us
City of Rolla Recycling Center
The City of Rolla Recycling Center is a drop-off facility for separated recyclable materials. The facility is owned and operated by the City of Rolla and is accessible to the public seven days a week, twenty-four hours a day. When placing recyclables into the appropriate slot or bin, please separate properly and follow any specific instructions posted at the location.
What can I recycle?
The Rolla Recycling Center offers a document destruction service. Please call us for details, (573) 364-6693.
Look on the bottom of plastic containers for the number located in the center of the recycling symbol. We are able to recycle #1 and #2 plastics and certain plastic bags and shrink-wrap. The symbols will look like this:
#1 (PETE): These are typically found in the form of soft drink bottles.
#2 Natural (HDPE): Most commonly milk jugs.
#2 Colored (HDPE): Most commonly laundry detergent bottles, bleach bottles, etc.
( Please rinse out all bottles, discard all caps/lids, and flatten containers to save space.)
Plastic product bags (shopping bags, bread bags, dry-clean bags, etc.) and shrink-wrap bags must be clean & dry. No black bags.
Bags and shrink-wrap are NOT collected at curb side.
The Recycling Center also accepts e-waste items between the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Special arrangements can be made if needed.
Examples of items accepted are:
- PCs, keyboards, mice, printer cables
- fax machines, calculators, copiers
- radios, stereos, speakers, scanners
- DVD players, CD players, VCRs, camcorders
- answering machines, remote controls
- cell phones, cordless phones
- microwaves, power tools,
- paper shredders, CDs, DVDs
- vacuum cleaners, dehumidifiers
- printer ink cartridges,
- small appliances (toasters, blenders, lamps, etc.)
- monitors, televisions (fee's apply)
- and much, much more
Please call our office at (573) 364-6693 if you have any questions regarding the acceptability of a particular item.
We also accept lead acid batteries such as automobile, motorcycle and four-wheeler batteries.
Major appliances are NOT accepted as e-Waste. If you have an appliance you need to dispose of please call the Rolla Recycling Center at (573) 364-6693.
Alkaline batteries, rechargeable batteries and lead batteries can be recycled. Rechargeable batteries with the abbreviations Ni-Cd, Ni-MH, Li-Ion or PB imprinted on the battery pack means it can be recycled. Button batteries need their terminals covered with gray duct tape or electrical tape. Bring small quantities of these items to the Recycling Center office during normal business hours, M-F 8:00am-4:30pm. Please call to make an appointment if you need to drop off more than two (2) pounds of batteries.
Inserts are accepted but please remove any plastic bags, twine and string.
Office paper, magazines, catalogs, junk mail, cereal boxes, and any other paperboard cartons are accepted.
Brown paper bags are also accepted. (Please remove any carbon paper, plastic, and Styrofoam.)
Staples and paper clips do not have to be removed.
Corrugated boxes only, (boxes must be free of plastic, Styrofoam, wood, etc.)
Flatten cardboard boxes if desired to save space.
After the cardboard is dropped off at the Recycling Center...
...it's packed into large bales and sold.
Cans need to be empty and free from any foreign debris. (Flatten cans if desired to save space.)
TIN / STEEL CANS
Cans need to be emptied and rinsed. Labels do not need to be removed.
Aerosols are acceptable if empty. Please remove any plastic caps or lids from the can.
Only food and beverage containers are accepted. Remove all lids and rinse containers. There is no need to remove labels.
Clear bottles and jars must be separated from colored bottles and jars.
We cannot accept light bulbs, ceramics, glass cookware, mirrors, window plate glass, or auto glass.
HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE
Where can I take my household hazardous waste? The City of Rolla Recycling Center accepts materials by appointment only. To schedule a time call 573-364-6693. When calling, please be prepared to describe the types of materials that you wish to drop off and approximate quantity of each. Materials must be in original containers or clearly hand labeled if placed in another container. Do not mix different wastes in the same container.
Who can participate? This service is for residents in the Rolla/Phelps County community as well as the Ozarks Rivers Solid Waste Management District (Crawford, Dent, Gasconade, Maries, Phelps, Pulaski, and Washington counties.) Pulaski County also operates a household hazardous waste facility. Hazardous waste from businesses is not accepted.
Is there a fee? This is a free service made possible thanks to:
- Missouri Department of Natural Resources
- Ozark Rivers Solid Waste Management District
- City of Rolla
Examples of items accepted:
Stain & Varnish
Oil Based Paint
Gas & Kerosene
Pool Chemicals, Photo Chemicals, Aerosols, Household Cleaners, Batteries, Acids & Caustics, Fluorescent Bulbs, Ether, Disinfectants, Mercury, Small Propane Tanks, Cooking Oil and more.
This items listed above are just a partial list. If you have any questions about acceptability of a particular waste please call our office at 573-364-6693.
Smoke Detectors: Although it is legal to dispose of your ionization detector in the trash, you should return the product back to the manufacturer. They are mandated by the Nuclear Regulatory law 10 CFR 32.27 to see that the radioactive waste is disposed of at a nuclear waste disposal facility. Send the smoke detector back intact. DO NOT remove any components. The entire smoke detector needs to be returned to the manufacturer or store by UPS ground mail, not FedEx or airmail. The batteries should be removed and properly disposed of or recycled. Place the entire smoke detector in a sealed box wrapped in paper to prevent it from being damaged.
Why should I Recycle?
How about the following reasons.....
Americans generate about 222 million tons of trash annually. On average, each one of us generates 4-5 pounds of trash daily. When we send all of this waste to landfills they fill up quickly. Therefore, recycling has become an important part of our waste management system. By recycling a significant portion of our waste, we save landfill space and get the following benefits in the process:
- Recycling helps conserve natural resources (trees, water, metals, oil, coal) that are used in the production of new products.
- Recycling helps reduce the demand for energy. Less energy is required to produce products from recycled materials than with virgin materials. Consider this: It takes the same amount of energy to make 20 recycled aluminum cans as it take to make one can from virgin materials. That is a 95% energy savings!
- Since less energy is used, less pollution is produced. Many industries burn fossil fuels (coal, oil) for energy. Burning coal produces sulphur dioxide, which is one of our biggest and worst air pollutants.
- Recycling one ton of paper saves 17 trees!
- One domestic auto manufacturer uses approximately 50 million soda bottles a year to produce components (grills, bumpers, trunk liners, etc.) for new cars and trucks.
- Recycling scrap steel reduces related water pollution, air pollution, and mining by about 70%.
- Americans throw away enough aluminum each year to rebuild the entire commercial air fleet.
- The energy saved by recycling one glass jar can power a 100-watt light bulb for four hours.
- Much of the paper that you recycle is used to make construction materials such as gypsum board, insulation, and roofing materials.
- A significant number of plastic soda bottles are used to make new carpet and clothing.
DON’T THROW IT ALL AWAY - RECYCLE!
WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT RECYCLING?
Call: (573) 364-6693 or (573)364-9568
2141 OLD ST. JAMES RD.
ROLLA, MO 65401
The City of Rolla provides a residential curbside collection service for recyclable materials (within the City Limits.) Participation is voluntary, but is encouraged. The City of Rolla Recycling Center will provide each resident with a blue recycle bin, and the recyclable materials should be placed in the recycling bin and placed at the curbside. for collection on the same day as the trash container.
If you are interested in participating in this program, please call (573) 364-6693 and we will deliver a blue recycle bin to your home, or come by the City of Rolla Recycling Center to pick up your bin today.
The following items are collected curb side.:
- #1 Plastic bottles, typically soft drink bottles (rinse & remove lids)
- #2 Plastic jugs (rinse & remove lids)
- Tin cans
- Aluminum cans
- Glass bottles and jars (clear, green, blue & brown)
- Cardboard (remove any plastic & Styrofoam, etc.)
- Mixed paper such as magazines and junk mail
*** Motor oil containers cannot be recycled.
*** Plastic product bags and shrink wrap are accepted at the Recycling Center but are not collected in the curb side program.
Follow these guidelines to help make recycling a positive experience for you:
- When placing your container out for collection, be sure it is easily visible from the street and not obscured by a parked car, shrub, etc.
- Don’t let your recyclables become neighborhood litter. Place heavier items on top of lighter items. Newspaper can be placed in a paper bag and laid on top of your container and serve to hold other materials in place.
- You can use a permanent marker to write your address on the bottom of your container.
- If you move, leave the recycling container at your current address for the next resident to use.
- Try to place your container out for collection only when it is full, not when you only have 1 or 2 items. This will make collections more efficient.
- It is very helpful if you separate your recyclables within the container (e.g., place newspapers in a brown paper bag). However, this is not mandatory.
- Please do not use plastic shopping bags, we cannot collect these at the curb.
- If you find that your recycling container is not large enough to hold your weekly recyclables, other containers can be used. Please call the Recycling Center for suggestions or options.
- Remember that some collection schedules are affected by certain holidays. Call our office at 364-6693 if you have questions.
Other metals can be recycled at some of our local metal dealers.
(These businesses are not affiliated with the City of Rolla)
- Didon-Orf Recycling 573-265-1243
- Tomco Metals 573-634-1444
- PSC Metals 573-885-7628
- Davis Recycling 573-364-2157
- Wheels for Wishes 855-366-9474