- Rolla at a Glance
- Community Events
- Rolla Info
- Contact Us
Burning Regulations & Permits
No burn permits will be issued until the area receives a significant amount of rain.
Posted July 29, 2014
The Rolla Fire Department wishes to remind Rolla citizens of the City’s burning permit ordinance and the Department of Natural Resources Open Burning Regulations.
- Citizens must contact the Rolla Fire & Rescue for a permit prior to burning. A permit will be issued over the phone for open burning if weather is permitting. You may obtain the permit by calling (573) 364-3989 on the day you wish to burn.
- Citizens are allowed only to burn grass, leaves, weeds, or other natural vegetation which was generated on their property.
- Materials such as tires or waste oil may not be used to start the fire or burned in the fire. This rule will clarify the rumor of placing tires in brush plies. Burning of tires is prohibited by state regulations.
- All burning shall take place on the owner’s property. No burning shall be permitted on City right-of-ways.
- Burning is not allowed during the hours of darkness, from sunset to sunrise.
- The location for any open burning shall not be less than 50 feet from any structure and provisions shall be made to prevent the fire from spreading to within 50 feet of any structure.
- Any open burning shall be constantly attended until the fire is extinguished. Fire extinguishing equipment shall be available for immediate use.
- The fire chief or his designee shall prohibit open burning which will be offensive or objectionable due to smoke or odor emissions when atmospheric conditions or local circumstances make such fires hazardous.
The above material is listed from City Ordinance Section 14-5 and the ordinance is not quoted word for word.
If citizens are interested in disposing of their leaves through the trash, they need to purchase biodegradable bags through their local merchant and place the bagged leaves by the trash container on pick up day.
If more information is needed concerning the burning permit ordinance, please contact the City of Rolla Fire & Rescue at (573) 364-3989.