Rolla National Airport
Rolla National Airport is a former U.S. Army airfield located on U.S. Highway 63 in Maries County approximately 14 miles north of Rolla. The airport is owned and operated by the City of Rolla, and features two lighted 5500' x 100' asphalt runways. The airport is served by both nonprecision VOR/DME and GPS approaches. Available services include fuel sales, hanger and tie-down rental provided by the City, as well as hangar rental and flight instruction services provided by private businesses at the site.
Rolla National Airport is home base for 52 single and multi-engine planes, and serves as an important transportation hub for many large local businesses and government organizations, including Kingsford Charcoal, Wal-Mart, Garmin International, Love's Travel Stops & Country Stores, Colton's Steakhouse, Phelps County Regional Medical Center, Missouri University of Science and Technology (Missouri S&T), and the State of Missouri. The airport averages over 22,000 operations on a yearly basis. The airport grounds also offer substantial potential for industrial & commercial development.
|Contact the Rolla Airport
Darrin Bacon - Manager
Airport Leasing &
FAA ID: VIH
Location: Vichy, Missouri
601 Airport Drive
(PO Box 505)
Vichy, MO 65580
Download (Large file warning: 38mb PDF - Suggested you right-click and select "save as")
The future requirements of the Rolla National Airport will be evaluated not only from the standpoint of aviation needs, but also from the relationship of airport facilities to the surrounding land uses and the community as a whole. This planning document will focus on a complete and comprehensive aviation facility, with the overall goal being facilities development that can accommodate future demand that is not significantly constrained by its environs.
Airport History - Looking Back
The airfield that is now Rolla National Airport was first opened during World War II by the United States Army Airforce for wartime purposes. The airfield tract, encompassing 1,200 acres, was transferred to the City of Rolla in 1958 under the provisions of the Surplus Property Act of 1944. Since that time, many improvments have been made to the runways and facilities. The last 25 years, especially, have seen substantial work undertaken at the airport.
- 1979 - Lighting and Navigational Aids Project.
- 1983 - FAA Grant to overaly and mark Runway 4-22, improve shoulder grading and drainage for 4-22 and 13-31, transition overal for 13-31, and seeding.
- 1985 - Extend airport maintenance building.
- 1991 - State Block Grant and FAA Grant combination for apron and taxiway overlay, overlay of 13-31, relocation of both VASI-2 installations, and addition of light to Runway 13-31.
- 1993 - Construction of ten (10) T-hangers by City for lease to public.
- 1998 - ALP Update, paint restriping and sealing.
- 2004 - Installation of new Fuel Farm.
- 2004 - Crack-filling, sealing and remarking of 4-22 and taxiways.
- 2007 - Construction of new 10-unit T-hangar.
- 2007 - Installation of ODALS/PAPI on 4-22; new lights on 4-22; T-hangar apron.